Saturday, January 22, 2011

For the Record


As we were lying in bed the other night, my husband said one of the nicest things he has ever said to me.  We were talking about a friend of ours and how she has a particular affinity for drama.  (No, not the "Shakespeare, theater" kind.  But the "everything in my life is soooo difficult" kind.  We love her all the same but sometimes the drama can be a bit much).

And that's when he nonchalantly remarked "I'm so glad you're not a nut".  Awww, instant smile to this gal's face.  And I'm not being sarcastic when I write that.

We have been together for nearly 17 years and for some reason that little statement stands out as one of the sweetest things he's ever said to me.  Maybe because it was the simplicity of the remark or the way it casually came out of his mouth.  Or maybe it was just what I needed at this point in my pregnancy, especially since I feel so erratic sometimes with all the hormonalness.  (Yep, I just made that word up.)

Now I don't want to paint the picture that my husband is not the mushy romantic type.  I think he does pretty good in that category.  He still brings me flowers and knows that I love unwrapping tiny boxes from Tiffany's.  He holds doors, carries groceries and goes out of his way to make me feel special.  He has written me plenty of sweet letters in our years together and recently started making movies celebrating our anniversary, birth of our kids, etc.  I just have to gush, he truly is great.

But there was just something special about those 7 little words he said the other night.

No comments:

Post a Comment