Thursday, February 17, 2011

I love you even when you're stinky

I would've posted this little idea before Valentine's Day and linked to a few parties ahead of time but this hit me last minute.  Yep, it was one of those lying in bed, trying to get back to sleep in the middle of the night ideas.

My husband isn't really a gadget, sports, or car kind of guy.  Food is the way to his heart.  I really wanted to get him a big bunch of chocolate and candy this year.  But lately we are both trying to resist the urge to eat sweets.  So when I stumbled upon this idea of pickled onions I knew he would love it for several reasons.

You see, my dad is really allergic to onions.  Even the smell of them will make him sick.  Growing up we were a strictly onion-free house.  I really don't like the way onions taste, detest the way they smell and don't enjoy cutting them at all.  So what better way to show someone the true extent of your love than to make them something that you absolutely hate.  Ugh, the house smelled of onions and vinegar for a whole day.  Not pleasant for an onion-hating pregnant gal ;-)

From the idea of just the onions I came up with this:

A basket filled with all sorts of food stuffs reflecting different moods.
I attached this little note that reads:  I love you no matter what mood you're in!  No fancy labels here....just store-bought doilies and my messy handwriting.  But my hubby wouldn't want it any other way ;-)
Tomatillo salsa: I love you when you're spicy

Blue tortilla chips: I love you when you're blue


Jelly Belly Kids Mix: I love you when you're childish

Pickled onions: I love you even when you're stinky

Chocolates: I love you when you're sweet
Lemonade: I love you even when you're sour

It was fun finding foods to fit the different moods.  I really could've gone overboard but decided that we didn't need a bunch of snacks stuffing our small kitchen cupboards.

I think this gift idea would work for more than just Valentine's Day.  It would be perfect for an "I Love You" gift (that's what my mom calls little gifts that she surprises us with.  One of the many sweet things about her) or a quick pick-me-up for a friend or spouse that is down.  And of course, you super crafty gals out there could come up with some fancy little labels to attach or even make your own goodies to stuff in the basket.  I would love to see what you create!

*Update:  My husband has declared that the pickled onions are scrumptious and even mentioned trying to can some once we are settled after our next move.  My brother tried them the other night at dinner and he liked them too.  I'll have to take their word for it, I couldn't get past the smell to try any!
I'm linking to:


Dittle Dattle


Photobucket

Texas Monkey

No comments:

Post a Comment