Monday, December 27, 2010

Wow, Santa is crafty!

I made it....Big Sis found a cute little canopy bed waiting under the Christmas tree for her new doll.  Never mind that I was up until 2am finishing it and that I almost forgot to wrap it before tucking it under the tree ;-)  And a trip to the store (for pink thread of all things!) on Christmas Eve day was an absolute necessity even after I had really tried hard to plan ahead to avoid such things.

So this is what we started with.  Pretty basic, plain non-girly bedding.
Photo from http://www.ikea.com/
My husband took some long (maybe 2.5 inches or so?) screws and screwed them into the center of each bed post.  He drilled a hole first to make it easier to sink the screws into the wood.  Don't you just *love* that ugly old green tile in our basement laundry room area.  The house we're renting right now was built in 1959 and I think those have to be the original tiles.  I'm sure they're full of terrible cancer-producing chemicals like asbestos etc. 


He then took a piece of PVC pipe that was just about the same diameter as the head of the screws and bent each end down over the screws.  I'm sorry I don't know what size pipe it is.  All I know is that it was $1.49 at Home Depot and by cutting it in half we had enough for both sides of the bed.

This is the end result of Hubby's quick modifications. 
 I then took the bottom platform of the bed and cut some extra quilt batting to fit,
 I had some extra spray adhesive lying around and used it to hold the batting in place. 
 Then I took some extra satin fabric I had and cut a piece a bit larger than the platform and then simply hot-glued the edges down
 The finished look.  You can also see in the below pic that I painted the headboard and footboard white.
I didn't take any pics of the construction of the fabric covering to the canopy.  At midnight on Christmas Eve, I was more focused on actually finishing this project in time for Christmas morning than a step-by-step tutorial, sorry.  But it really was pretty easy.  I took about 1/2 a yard of just plain cotton fabric, rolled and hemmed the edges, and then added the ribbon/eyelet trim on both sides.
I then centered the canopy over the pvc frame and simply hand-stitched in the center and on both ends.  I was going to sew a sort of rod pocket to the underside of the canopy and then slide the pipe through the pocket.  But the later it got and the more I thought about it, a quick stitching to the frame was a better solution.

You'll notice in the above pic that there is a different bedspread than the striped one from IKEA.  I found this one at Target for about $15.  The packaging said it would fit any 18" doll sized bed but it is a tad bit short for this one.  Oh, well.  It has cute cupcakes on it and came with a few little pillows.  I also found some cupcakes stickers at Target and modpodged one on the headboard and a line of three on the footboard.

Overall, I think that it turned out pretty cute and my daughter seems to like it.  And that's all that really matters anyways, right?  Unfortunately, my son likes it too and has desperately tried to climb into it on several occasions.  Now that is a picture I needed to include in this post! ;-)



1 comment: